Monday, March 14, 2005

The network is the computer

I am extremely disappointed with the support from a vendor for the past few weeks.

The OS is reporting ECC memory, but correctable ones that it.

As a diligent SA that I am. I logged in a service call. As there isn't any service distruptions (yet), I did not pressed on like I was from the past.

The error message persists and many alerts were triggered on the monitoring software, causing much alarm for the rest of the SA.

It went off for a few days, and while the vendor called, I told them maybe we can closed for now as they did not give any constructive solutions nor being proactive as I hope them to be.

then a few days later, the error keep comming back. triggering a lot of error messages!

This time round, I log in a service call with the vendor again. Guess what, all I have in response is their new DIMM replacement policy.

Nothing constructive. I mean if I was the vendor, I'd sugggest something to find out more details, instead of asking for data collection tools only.

I would have request the user to run some diagnostics tool. extended POST maybe, of Validation Test maybe?

oh hell no .. all I have is the pdf file of DIMM replacement policy.

If you are a SA, you will know that it doesn't thrills a least bit to know your vendor's DIMM replacement policy.

All I want is availability and performance!! By all means give me something constructive!

anyway, I requested some down time from my user, shut the box down. setted up extended diags and ran a full POST.

AH AH! 1 bank of memory was blacklisted!

the server booted up with 1GB ram less.

let see how long they take to response to this ....

gold support contract .....
*mutters*

guess i better study harder to get my RHCE.

^z

No comments: